Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard Server 2008 to SBS 2003 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecaboodle

MIS
Jan 22, 2001
Confussed didn't think that you could have a second DC in a SBS 2003 domain, and yet the only way you can add AD to the 2008 server is to use dcpromo???

Thanks

If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

The operation failed because:

The Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard was unable to convert the computer account MAIL2$ to an Active Directory Domain Controller account.

"The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

You can have as many DCs as you want in an SBS environment. BUT, the SBS box must hold all FSMO roles.

The question is whether SBS 2003 supports having a 2008 DC, since there are schema updates. I have a suspicion that it does NOT. At any rate, you'd still have to use the wizards on the SBS to do things correctly.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Sbs 2003 will support a 2008 dc. I have several clients running with this scenario. You just have to update the schema as you would on any other 2003 dc.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Also have 2000 servers in the domain... If I update schema want they be effected?

No, updating the schema shouldn't break things for the 2000 boxes.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back