Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

standard or enterprise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfunk123

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2001
GB
I have inherited the admin of exchange, with no cd's box or anything, just a working exchange environment - I cant see anywhere that tells me what version i am running (Standard, Enterprise etc). I want to add a new server to the site but need to know this information before adding a server.

Also what are the limititions of standard and the benefits of enterprise????

The difference between standard and enterprise is that w/ Standard you can only have upto 16GB of Information Store and only one storage group.

To find out whether you have Standard or Enterprise I would try to create another Storage Group. If it lets you than you don't have the Standard.

If this is Exchange 5.5 we are talking about, it is very easy to tell one version from the other. ( I just upgraded a client's network last week to enterprise because they were running out of space).
If you "bounce" the Exchange services then review your application event logs you will find an informational pertaining to the information store I believe the ID # is 2716 or 2717 ...anyway the log states the size of the IS. 16GB limit = Standard....no limit = Enterprise.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. It says 'The information store is limited to 16 gb'. However I have been told that you cannot install the X400 connector with Standard (so why have I got the X400 connector installed if i only have the standard 16gb edition) very strange !! any further help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

You can run X400 with standard. I have used it!

Apparently (but I have yet to try it), the 16GB limit was only in the beta of Exchange 5 and never made it to full release. Or so I was told.

Anyone with a spare moment want to test the theory???

Ive just enquired about upgrading the licence to 5.5. enterprise from 5.5 standard and have been informed that I cannot buy this upgrade. I can only buy a complete exchange 2000 enterprise licence which comes in at £2100 uk pounds (around $3000 usd) . Is this true ??? I just need an upgrade to 5.5 enterprise - does anyone have any ideas????

thanks
Gary

While it is true that you cannot actually purchase the 5.5 Enterprise, there is a workaround that is actually quite beneficial.
You will need to buy the upgrade from Exchange Server 5.5 (non Enterprise) to Exchange 2k Enterprise. You can then call Microsoft Worldwide Fullfillment and order the 5.5 Enterprise CD.
I ran across the same problem and verified this with Microsoft.
Al
atc-computing@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back