Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard MS Project Task updates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaney

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2005
GB
im a regular user of this application but wondered what is the standard way of updating tasks that the experts use?
Do you
A -update by amending the finish date or
B - do you update by increasing duration

I know by doing A amends the task constraint although
What do the experts prefer to do?????
Just a quick question as i always am,end the finish but i know some others update the duration

Any views would be appreciated???

I never (well, hardly ever, enter a finish date (that just imposes a constraint). I change work, duration and/or resources as appropriate.

If the person doing the work tells me that the estimate is low on Work then I increase work to reflect the new estimate while keeping the finish date constant.

If the person doing the work tells me that the work is right but it's going to take longer (resource is away on vacation, can't get lab time, etc.) then I increase the duration to reflect the new schedule while keeping the work constant.

If the resource tells me that the work needs a new resource from another department then (once I have the resource approved to work on the project) I change the resources allocated, add the new work and, if advised by the people doing the work, change the duration as necessary.

PDQBach a star you are, thanks again your answering my odd queries

Kaney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back