Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard for Catalog Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Nov 26, 2001
ID
My Company ask me to design a catalog. Unfortunately I do not have any experiences on it.

Would somebody please help me what is the standard rule for my designs result that could be directly printed without any more fixing by printing company?

The standard for the Color (CMYK or RGB)
DPI standard Etc......

Things will always need fixing by the printers to a degree, but what you're asking for is an overview of an incredibly broad subject, far too large to answer via a forum.
You need to do some research into printing processes, DTP and associated packages. This isn't really a photoshop area although it is heavily involved.. You should proabably look into inDesign or my preferred package, Quark. Tutorials in these subjects will help you gain a more grounded understanding of the intricacies of DTP and indeed, printing.
In answer to your last question though, CMYK and 300 dpi.
Hope this helps,
DigiPencil

Using proper color management will allow you to even use RGB images.

You gotta love a boss that throws you into lake, wearing lead boots. May as well add, "re-bore the motor in my car", "teach the dog to play the Chineses national anthem on harmonica", and "translate War and Peace to Klingon", then come see me after lunch for something else to do!!

Anyway, a real handy site that covers the ABC's of printing and design is
Poke aroung in there and you'll get an idea where you want to head.

Thanks guys. It's makes me more clear.

@samjazz
you're right. My boss sometimes makes me nervous. But I hope with this experiences, I could learning something and maybe it's usefull someday.

Another questions, is there any trick to avoid page arrangement mistake and printing if I want to put a big photo at two pages together?

I would avoid using photoshop to do multiple page documents AT ALL COSTS.

If you have InDesign (or Quark, of course) it really is pretty simple once you get the basics, and then you don't have to worry about how pages print together etc.

Tell your boss to get you some training!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back