Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

standalone media player problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykafafi

Technical User
Jan 12, 2009
ok so i have a 500GB standalone media player, Trekstor Movie Station is whats its called. had it for quite a while now and been filling it up ever since and never had a problem with it. until today, i plugged it into my laptop to put more movies on it, turned it on and my computer doesnt see it!

here's what happens exactly, it recognizes that an external usb drive has been inserted. like i get the icon down on the tray saying that there's smth connected, but i get nothing in my computer..

actually what really happens is that after i turn it on, and my laptop recognizes that its connected, my whole computer freezes! and as soon as i turn it off, everything goes back to normal and my computer works fine.

so my first impression was that the hard drive on the media player was done, but when i hook it up to the tv, everything works fine. like all the data is read and i watch/load stuff off of it. but as soon as its connected to the computer, all bets are off.

so i tried switching the usb data cable and still got nothing, i also tried connecting to it on another pc and same problem happened.

im running on windows vista, 1gb RAM

please ppl im desperate here. i spent too much time and effort to have all my data just not be accessible anymore! not to mention that piece of hardware was expensive man! anybody got any ideas??

all help would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

If you connect the drive and look in computer manager, check to see if the drive is assigned a letter. If you can't do this via your Media PC plug it back into the laptop and use a drive letter that neither machines have.

Try this from MS. It's targeted for PC Card problems, but describes yours perfectly anyway:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System (if the System icon is not displayed in Control Panel, click the View all Control Panel icons link on the left side of Control Panel).
2. On the Device Manager tab, click the plus sign (+) next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
3. Click USB Host Controller, and then click the Properties button.
4. On the Resources tab, click to clear the Use Automatic Settings check box.
5. Choose a basic configuration from the list that does not cause device(s) to appear in the Conflicting Device List, and then click OK.
6. You may receive a warning message that indicates that Plug and Play functionality is limited by forcing a specific configuration. Click Yes to continue.
7. Click Close.
8. Restart your computer.

It seems the reason is that when you plug the drive in, the IRQ's of devices are 'rebalanced', causing the crash.
Source: forums.pcworld.co.nz

worth a shot...

Also worth a shot: unplug the PC from the wall outlet, then hold the power button on the PC for a few minutes, this will drain the capacitors on the mainboard and PSU, then hook the PSU back up and boot up... still behaving badly?

and: in the BIOS set the USB ports all to USB1.1, then exit and save, test again for the freezing... then try USB LEGACY MODE set to DISABLE and exit and save then retest...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

thanks in advance to the both of you, i'll try it tonite and let u guys know how it went!

thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back