Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Staging during backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

phbeauverd

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2002
CH
Sometimes staging starts during the backup are writing to the same volume the backup are stopped until enough place is free again on the disk volume.

Is it possible to avoid this ?
If not is it a good idea to force staging during the afternoon to free enough space for the next night backups ?

We use a Linux NW server 7.6.1 and 2 storage node W2k8 with NW 7.6.1 using each 2 TB of disk and a library Dell ML6000 with 30 LTO4 tapes and 2 drives.

Thank you for the help

Ouf course, you should be able to stage finished save sets while running backups. However, assuming that your backups are faster than you tapes, you might still fill up your AFTD.

You have various alternatives. You may ...
- manually stage by a cron script at a certain time of the day
- manually stage by post-backup command script
(Use one client and assign him the least priority)
- simply decrease the intervals in your staging resource

Thank you for the advice, I will first try to decrease intervals at about 20 minutes et also decrease the high water mark to 80% instead of 90% to keep more space available when staging starts.

Is that the right way ?

If you want to stage everything immediately, you should minimize both - the intervals and the watermarks.

A good idea is also to setup a small test system to verify the behavior. Remember that NW will work for 30 days w/o limitation.

I have done this setup for the week-end :
High water mark 80%
Low water mark 45%
recover space interval 40 minutes
file system check interval 25 minutes

Hope it helps to solve my problem because the both intervals was defined as 4 and 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back