Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL telnet connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

misha6

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
GB
I've got several Cisco 2600 routers in my network i need to tighten up security by setting up secure Telnet connectivity to them. Is SSL connection possible and if it is it the best way to do it.

Thanks

NKM

Not SSL (secure socket layer) but, with the proper software load, you can run SSH ( secure shell) which is you meant, I think :)

By disabling telnet by using an access list and allowing SSH from certain IP addresses you can make big strides towards security. You also can also do things like deny telnet at the VTY session. Make sure http is disbabled, SNMP has a tight community string and uses an ACL for access to it will also help

There is alot more at the NSA Security Guidelines which gives a step by step to locking down a Cisco (or other) router.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Enable SSH on routers using following link.

You will need to have the specified IOS version in the link, to enable SSH.

On vty lines, you can disable, telnet first, and only allow SSH, by using the command

line vty 0 4
transport input ssh

Further you can use access class to restrict the hosts from which you can SSH into the router.

Also you can download a free SSH client such as PUTTY (search in google for it).

Hope that helps

Sankar Nair
General Datatech l.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back