Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micron1090

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2004
US
Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to increase speed with an SSL site. One of our .net apps takes a good 30 seconds to render to screen. It looks to be waiting for all the images to download to the PC.

We've tried having the app reference the images from the same site, like /images/stuff.gif and tried using another website to serve the image references like
Any ideas?

SSL takes considerably more processing power than regular HTTP. You might want to monitor processor activity on the server and possible upgrade it. Or you could also add an SSL Accelerator. But I would definitely check performance monitors on the server and see if that is the bottleneck.

Yeah i thought that and spent some time looking at the server trying to see if it was getting beat on. No luck. Max connections was around 7, cpu was averaging 2%, get requests were around 2 per second.

I'm sure it's because the site is so image intensive. i logged in, and clicked to 2 pages, that generated 111 entries in the log files, about 75 of those entries were get requests for image files. There has to be a way out there to do this faster, people must have run into this before.

Is it slow with SSL turned off ? Also what size are the images (file size). Might want to compress them as small as possible for web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back