Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL certificate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, we use OWA to access our emails over the web, a year ago we bought a SSL 128bit certificate from verisign and it all works well. However if it's only employees accessing do I need to renew this or should/can I create my own as it's a lot cheaper ;-)

A

You can create your own certificate using MS Certificate Server. Just realize they will get a warning message about the certificate being from an untrusted authority unless you add it to the list of trusted authorities on the client.

Thanks, how do I install that? And is it free with Win2k?

Thanks, is CS free and are there and licensing issues?

A

CS is a component of Windows 2000 server and is covered under the license you have for 2000 server.

Hi, if we created our own CS and created our own 128 bit Certificate, would the users connecting still get the certificate downloaded to their computer like it currently does? But just as untrusted rather than trusted which is fine by us - aslong as it's 128bit encrypted.

A

Yes it would be 128 bit and still just as secure, they will just get a warning message that the certifictae was issued by an untruted authority unless you add it as trusted on the client. As long as the choose ok from the warning message it will work just fine.

Thanks and to install Certificate server can it be on a server with other apps or does it have to be it's own? Is it easy to create my own 128bit certificate?

Yes it is easy, just follow the instructions on the link I posted earlier. It can be installed with other apps. Might want to try it in a test lab to verify everything rather than learning in a production environment. If you have any problems let me know.

Hi guys,
I have the same issue. Does one know how to get rid of this pop-up window which says "this certificate is issued by non trusted organisation, do u want to proceed"? or how can I add this site to my trusted list on the server?

the problem is that we want to use SSL(https) for our website but this pop up will be frustrating for our clients and customers. How can I avoid it?
thanks,

thanks,
I understand it now. But one more question. I want to do a clean install and certification. I had uninstaled and reinstalled certificate service. But still if I go to assign an existing certificate to my website, shows all the old certificates. How can I remove them?
thanks,

Also
I deleted the certificates from my IE (trusted root). but as soon I restart my PC, and check IE, it shows me all the certificates which i had created on the server. Although I have uninstalled certificate service on the server and also deleted all the files. Is there something stored on active directory which loads to the IE once you restart your PC? I am really frustrated with it.
appriciate your help
thanks a lot,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back