Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL and OWA 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmaccy

Technical User
Oct 4, 2003
US
I'm runng exchange 2003 on windows 2k server. OWA works fine with basic authentication. I followed these instructions to enable SSL for OWA. Everything went fine except when testing, the security alert box said the certificate was NOT from a trusted authority. Now when I try to log on through OWA I get http 500, internal server error.

I installed the CA on the exchange server as enterprise root.

After removing the CA I can again log in with OWA.

any suggestions would be helpful as I'm new to exchange.

thanks

Just to clarify, you did get a certificate from VeriSign, right?

Unless you purchased a Certificate from a 3rd Party (such as verisgn) you will get that "security alert" box.

It looks like you installed CA on the email server and are issuing Certificates through an internal source. The party outside your network cann't verify your information because your information is internal to you rnetwork and not accessible from the internet.

It's also possible to use your own CA. To avoid the security alert from popping up, export the certificate from the default web site and import it on any client which needs access to OWA and is annoyed by the security allert.

Cheers
Knutern

Thanks all, you're right, I was trying to do it with an internal CA, the article confused me a bit. I'll try again.

I appreciate the replies..

Actually, i doubt that is your problem.

The dialog prompting you should have nothing to do with the HTTP/500 error..

Just don't want you to be disappointed if you buy a certificate. It's a good investment anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back