Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL and adding a second domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
We are in the process of taking over IT support for a second organization and need to absorb their e-mail. I think I've found what I need to get our Exchange to accept e-mail for @newplace.org and I know I have to point the MX record for newplace.org to our server when we're ready. One thing I haven't found is what to do about our server certificate.

Do we have to buy and install a second certificate for the new domain, or regenerate our current certificate to cover both domains or something else? What's the correct way to handle multiple domains?

Thanks.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

If you want the newplace.org's CAS URLs to work on your server, then you'd want to switch from a single-name cert (if that's what you are using) to a multi-name cert that includes those URLs.

If you don't mind just continuing to use a single domain-name's URLs for your CAS stuff (ActiveSync and OWA) then you could leave things as they are. For the Autodiscover for newplace, you would just get rid of any existing autodiscover record for that domain and create a new SRV record that points at the main name that's currently on your cert, even though that name is in the other domain. That will work fine. Let me know if you need clarification on any of this.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

I think that the only issue you will have is that you will get a certificate warning when you open Outlook if you use the new.org address to configure autodiscover.

Perhaps the best idea is to give the new crew an address at main.org as well as at new.org and when you configure outlook use the main.org (as a secondary, non default address) address and stick with the certificate you have and I think all will be well.

sircles.net Support - find us at:
Henley-on-Thames Computer Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back