Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSIS & SQL SVR 2008 Developer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossbs

Programmer
Aug 19, 2008
GB
Hi guys,

If the answer to my question is yes then some of you may have chuckled at the title of this thread....

Basically - you'll have to excuse the possible naivety on my behalf here - but i am very much more a 'USER' of SQL SVR rather than a 'SETUP' person - if that makes sense!?

Just been given SQL SVR 2008 Developer Edition by my new work which i have installed on my machine etc and i don't seem to have the means to create SSIS packages.

In previous jobs i have had SQL SVR 2005 (unsure of edition) and it came with Visual Studio for me to build SSIS packages... I don't seem to have that now...

So am i right in assuming that SQL SVR 2008 Developer Edition does NOT come with the means to build SSIS packages.... or have i just installed it incorrectly?!

Cheers all..

Dan

I'm thinking you missed something on the install. Per Microsoft: Developer edition has the same features as the Enterprise edition. Enterprise Edition has SSIS.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition does come with SSIS (although, its possible it wasn't selected during the install). It also sounds like Visual Studio Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) wasn't install either.

As long as you have the install files you can still install the missing pieces without having to reinstall everything.

In the "Feature Selection" screen, under the "Shared Features" make sure to check "Business Intelligence Development Studio" and "Integration Services".

HTH, Dan

Cheers both for your replies.

What i think it was is that i had express edition installed on my machine so what i did was uninstall every instance of SQL 2008 from my machine then installed Developer Edition again and it worked fine.

Not sure whether Express being on my machine was the cause or whether i did do something different on reinstalling Developer the second time.

But any way - all is sorted!

Cheers guys.

Dan.

If I understood the info disclaimers correctly on a recent project, The SQL2K8 Express Edition allows executing SSIS packages, but not saving them.

-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back