Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSII 3300, is it broken? - all lights are on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

I've got a 3Com SuperStack 3300 and when I turn it on it does its power on self test and then all of the lights come on. The power/Self test light goes amber, all 8 unit lights go green and all of the port lights are on, with their status lights green and Packet lights amber. The status and packet lights for port 1 flash, but all others are constantly on.

This switch worked fine a couple of days ago, then we had to turn it off for a couple of days while we moved office. I've tried to access the switch via hyperterminal but it doesn't give me a login prompt.

I've read through some of the 3Com user manuals, but non seem to mention the lights coming on like this. I know very little about networks and switches, so some help would be really appreciated!!

Gav.

This is normal part of the 3300 boot process. Wait a few minutes (up to 5 or so on 24 port switch) and each port light will go out (in sequence.) If this doesn't happen then try to reset it by a serial connection directly to the console port.

Alex

I've left it on for at least an hour, with the lights staying exactly the same.

Could you give me a brief run through of how to reset it through the serial connection? I have attempted to connect to it via hyperterminal, connecting via the correct COM port, press enter twice, wait a while and then it does nothing. From what I've read I should get a login prompt after pressing enter twice.

Does this all sound right, or am I going wrong somewhere?

Gav.

That should get you in (config at 9600, 8,1, N) so its internal diagnostic must be hanging up (or actually has found something bad.) If you have the console port connected, and then apply power, the switch is supposed to display the boot information to the console. This will give you a scolling list of what is going on, until the error, which should be:
Something.....................failed

If this isn't happening, I don't know another method to access (or reset) the switch. I think you will need to check with 3com about getting this serviced.

Alex

The serial port connection is kind of tricky. You have to have exact timing during the bootup before you can get the prompt to come up.

More often than not, though, even if you can get into the console, it won't help to reset it. You'll probably need to send the switch in.

We had a similar problem with a 3300MM today. I tried to downloaded the upgrade from a telnet session and the switch then crashed and stayed crashed, with all lights on except port 23 (I think) which flashed both lights slowly.

I recovered the switch by downloading the Serial Update manager from 3com (suu03_01.exe) and using that and a laptop and the latest firmware file to reload the firmware. The Serial update manager instructs you to power cycle then talks to the switch via the serial cable as it reboots, taking control and reloading the firmware with nice GUI screens as it proceeds. After the reload finished successfully, I found I had to power cycle a few times before the switch came good and gave me a login prompt over the serial cable. All my settings were intact afterwards, tho your mileage may vary ...

regards,
Brian

I have similar problem...
We use SuperStack III RAS 1500 and the simthoms are the same. I tried reseting it several times after 3 secunde pause, but with no success... any ideas how to overide this problem?

Dear sir,

Your product has an hardware problem.
The SRAMs on the ethernet processor on ports 4th port on the left of the switch are dead (or the ethernet processor is defect). (If it was the leds on the port 7 is flashing, the problem is the SRAMs on the port 7 ethernet processor).
The diagnostic of you product is stopping and it's why you can'nt connect your serial port).
For more details , you can contact me.

Regards,

Luc.

I want to update the firmware on some SS 1000 switches but the 3Com serial utility does not appear to support these switches. The firmware updates for this switch have an *.slx extension rather than a binary (*.bin) extension as the serial update utility requires.

I have tried simply plugging the switches into a laptop and typing their IP address into the browser with no luck.

I guess I need some direction at this point. I'm stumped.

TIA,

DNP

unplug all the cables
reset the unit - ought to boot up ok
re-plug all the cables

to smclab:

Hi!

I have exact problem -
the leds on the port 7 is flashing
other lights are on. What can I do now?
May be it is possible to replace the damaged chip? But what chip? Or smthng else?

By the way. When the device is cold it starts normally and work fine for a long time. until reboot. then it wont boot, until cool off.

Regards,
fduch.

To fduch,

You have to find the good block of SRAMs corrupted.
You need to change 4 of them. they are arranged with 4 peer block.
You have 2 versions of swithes.
If the voltage applied on them is 5 V, you can use : CY7C1021B-12ZC (made by Cypress).
If the voltage applied on them is 3.3 V, you can use : CY7C1021BV33-12ZC (made by Cypress).

If you product continue with this failure, the dead part is the BGA case fast ethernet processor (You can't do anything in this case, because it is a custom component).

Regards,

Luc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back