Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH Sentinel & Linksys BEFVP41

Status
Not open for further replies.

actiondata

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
US
I have set up a VPN router BEFVP41 in a Windows NT Back Office server environment. Using SSH Sentinel 1.3.2.2 I am able to connect to the router ok. I can ping all machines in the network and map drives. What I can't do is browse the network. I was hopeing to be able to use my 98 laptop to connect to my home network from any location and use it like as if I was setting at home on my computer. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to get it to work. If not do you know of a client that will work with the Linksys BEFVP41 router.

I have the same problem, dit you find a answer ?

actiondata and ospdk,

From the Linksys BEFVP11 user guide:
==========
There are two basic ways to create a VPN connection:
· VPN Router to VPN Router
· Computer (using VPN client software that supports IPSec) to VPN Router

The VPN Router creates a “tunnel” or channel between two endpoints, so that data transmissions between them are secure. A computer with VPN client software that supports IPSec can be one of the two endpoints. Any computer with the built-in IPSec Security Manager (Microsoft 2000 Professional, 2000 Advanced Server, XP Home, and XP Professional) allows the VPN Router to create a VPN tunnel using IPSec (refer to “Appendix C: Configuring IPSec between a Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP PC and a Linksys Cable/DSL VPN Router”). Other versions of Microsoft operating systems require additional, third-party VPN client software applications that support IPSec to be installed.
==========

Appendix C has detailed steps for creating the tunnel on Win2K and XP machines.

SSH Sentinel does support IPSec and should work. Would need additional information about how you configured the router and Sentinel to go any further.

Hope that helps.
[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

SSH Sentinel does not support Netbios broadcasting - fortunately, since this feature could exhaust your tunnel with broadcast traffic.

True men use only \\remo.te.lan.ip\remoteshare

Since Netbios is broadcast based, your router won't inherently forward it. I know that the BEFXS41 VPN router has an advanced menu with a checkbox that allows netbios broadcasts to connect, but this can only happen if your remote IP is in the same subnet as your internal VPN network. In reality however, you don't want to do this because it will saturate your vpn tunnel pretty quickly. It's best to use the UNC (\\ipaddress\sharedirectory)

"I know that the BEFXS41 VPN router has an advanced menu with a checkbox that allows netbios broadcasts to connect, but this can only happen if your remote IP is in the same subnet as your internal VPN network."

This is not correct.

Your remote IP should anywhere else than same subnet as your internal VPN network.

IPSec VPN is routing, not bridging.

Netbios broadcasts work between BEFSX41/BEFVP41 router VPNs assuming they are in different subnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back