Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH Sentinel 1.3.2.2 Linksys BEFVP41 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

actiondata

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
US
I have ssh sentinel 1.3.2.2 and Linksys BEFVP41 4 port cable/dsl router. I have a small network at home, 7 machines. I want to be able to get to my network from my job. I dial out to an ISP. Operating system on remote is Windows 98SE. I get connect to the router, but can only ping machines an map drives. Can also \\machine name. I expected to be able to browse my network, using email account and print to my printers. Does anyone know how to get this thing to work.

Ben

Microsoft implements network "browsing" via Netbios. So unless you forward Netbios broadcasts over your connection (bad idea), you're going to need a WINS server on both ends, and have them replicate with each other. Or create LMHOSTS files on the systems.

There really ought to be a separate FAQ about browsing. It's not the fault of the routers...it's a design limitation in the way that MS implemented browsing 'way back when.

David Thom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back