Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ssh, rlogin-false = still not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdraja

Programmer
Oct 14, 2003
GB
I've tried in vain to use ssh with AIX 4.3.3, 5.1, 5.2 and am encountering the same probs with all three versions

With ssh, if I set rlogin=false in the user configuration, I can't open an interactive shell. Obviously, I can telnet or ssh in if I set rlogin=true but want to prevent people from su'ing to root.

Does anyone know how to get ssh to work when rlogin-false or any alternatives to prevent people from su'ing to root

All help mucho appreciated

Thanks for the replies...
however, I am more getting at enabling ssh to work whilst disabling telnet/rlogin. Therefore, u can only get in by ssh and not through telnet

Any more takers?

stopsrc -s inetd

or edit inetd.conf and remove telnet and rlogin

Cheers

If your only issue is to prevent users from su - to root, just edit the config file. sshd_config, in the file there is a variable "#PermitRootLogin yes" just uncomment it out and restart your ssh daemon.

LB

The main issue is that there are other users with root authority. I have to prevent not only root but them as well being accessed. Therefore, If I have a user(userA), u should not be able to login through telnet or rlogin to him

yes, just turn off telnet daemon, poof no telnet. you are going to have a hard time keeping someone with root passwd out of the system.

IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back