Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH new install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teakandme

MIS
Jun 10, 2004
US
If I newly install SSH, what else do I need to do to start using ssh other than start the sshd to allow other people to connect using ssh?

As long as you installed the openssl RPM first and installed openssh from the Expansion Pack lpp, you should be set.

Just "startsrc -s sshd" as root to start the daemon ("lssrc -s sshd" to see if it's already running).

- Rod

IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

A Simple Code for Posting on the Web

Do I need to generate any keys or anything? Cause from another box, I can not seem to ssh in?

just realized that when doing the lssrc -s sshd, I see it is inoperative. How do I correct this?

The lpp install should have taken care of server key generation.

Try to ssh from the box to itself, at the network address others would use to connect, not localhost or 127.0.0.1. If that works, then it's probably a firewall issue.

Are you getting error messages? If so, please post them.

- Rod

CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

I am not getting an error, just everytime I startsrc -s sshd, it gives me a PID but then the lssrc -s sshd returns inoperative status

Run
Code:
/usr/sbin/sshd -de
There should be some clue in the output.

- Rod

from the command, I get:

Could not load program /usr/sbin/sshd:
Symbol resolution failed for sshd because:
Symbol __fd_select (number 82) is not exported from dependent
module /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o).
Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command.

Do you know what I should do to correct this?

What's the output of
"lslpp -l bos.rte.libc openssh.base.server"?

- Rod

Fileset Level State Description
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Path: /usr/lib/objrepos
bos.rte.libc 5.2.0.85 COMMITTED libc Library
openssh.base.server 4.3.0.5300 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell Server

Path: /etc/objrepos
openssh.base.server 4.3.0.5300 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell Server

What about "oslevel -r"?

It looks like you have the openssh for AIX 5.3 installed on an AIX 5.2 system.

- Rod

This is what I used openssh-4.3p2_r2_52.tar.z, which indicated it was for 5.2. Do you know how it uninstall it or correct this by chance

Strange. That's the right download, maybe it was mislabeled on a mirror or something.

You can use "smit remove" to uninstall all of your openssh.* packages. Leave openssl alone, it should be fine.

Then redownload the tar file, extract it to a brand new temporary directory, and install. Make sure while installing that the version numbers start with 4.3.0.52.

- Rod

CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

One more additional question? Now that you have resolved that issue for me, when opening a ssh connection, it indicates:
Using username "root".

How can I prompt them for a username and not assume root?

What I meant is, is there something I need to change to prompt for a username when they ( for instance) come through putty where they do not have to specify the -l username?

when I try to ssh -l username hostname, I get the following

The authenticity of host 'testhost (172.28.132.21)can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 1b:93:6b:34:ad:a2:6d:1c:6a:71:55:9e:72:ea:2a:ce.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'testhost ,172.28.132.21' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

PuTTY has a place in the session settings where you can set the username to use for a connection. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm not at a PC right now.

On UNIX or Linux systems, take a look at the man page for the .ssh/config file.

Also, since you posted back about "-l username", I should point out that you need to substitute the user's login id for the sshd machine instead of "username". Forgive me if you already did that, it's just seemed reasonable that you might have thought the options were to prompt for username.

- Rod

CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back