Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabularasa

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
US
Can anyone give me a sample SSH configuration to use with some Cisco 2620s ?

Thanks!

Yeah, i read that and thought i understood it. I was just hoping that someone else would put one up so i could really grasp the concept.. would this work?

aaa login-local (what does this do?)
username XX password 0 XX
cry key generate rsa (what does this mean?)
ip ssh time-out 60
ip ssh authentication-retries 2
line vty 0 4
transport input ssh

How do you connect via SSH?
in the router via :

ssh -c 3des -p 2002 [ipaddress] (whats the 2002?)

how about not in the router?

Thanks

aaa local login allows you to config usernames locally on the router instead of using the AAA server.

before anything, you need to configure the hostname and the domain name.

Once that is done, you need to generate the RSA keys.. there are two keys a public and a private ket. The default min is a 512 bit key but cisco recommends at least 1024. If you are REALLY concerned, then use 2048 bit key but go get a cup of coffee when you start it. It can take awhile.

For SSH to work, you have to have either DES or 3DES enabled.

To connect to a SSH enabled router, I would recommend Teraterm with the SSH extensions. It's free and easy to configure.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

think you could throw together a sample config for me?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back