Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH CONFIGURATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

soloxis

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
AU
Hi
I have a Cisco 827 router. Our internal network is in 192.168.1.0
The problem is: I have an equipment with Linux on it, the IP address is 192.168.1.210. How I can allow a secure shell connection thru our Cisco 827? I've made some reserches and I saw something like that:
#ip domain-name .... (but I don't now what I have to write here?!)
#crypto key generate rsa (but can't go forward because I didn't setup the domain-name command)
#ip ssh ...

So what is happen if I will do that:
#ip domain-name test ?
test is different from our real domain

Please feel free to knok me down, I'm new in Cisco env but I really like it so .... any sugestions?

Thanx

Is this SSH to the router or SSH to the Linux server?

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

The domain name is merely used to generate the RSA Key as it uses this along with the hostname. There shouldn't be any issues with connecting to the router using SSH if your domain names are different (DNS lookup might not work but that is a different issue entirely).

HTH

Andy

Hi,

The problem is still there. pufff...
Well the idea is: Another company from US try to connect using our router to an other PC with Linux on. They told me: "The VPN loaded but we still are having a network problem. I am sure we will get it resolved but if ssh port 22 could be forwarded in your router to the IP of the integrator it will save some time"
Can you tell me how can I resolve that issue? I'm really on the edge, and I REALLY have to resolve that.
On the other hand, we have 2 routers one for VPN connections and another for Internet, I have 2 pubil IP addresses on them but if I try to connect using putty on the Internet router using the pubilc address I receive a message "Network error: Connection timed out" if I try the same thing on the VPN Router I can connect.
In this case I have to make all the modification on VPN R instead Internet R?
For ChrisAC, the connection is on router. They told me that they use UDP 500 for VPN connections, so I've opened the port 500 and 5001 how they asked, but now I received another message from them and they wrote: "The VPN loaded but we still are having a network problem ..... but it does not seem to be accessible via the IP address you provided (the router)"
So, I'm quite lost now and I don't now how to resolve that problem.

I hope I was quite clear about all this issue.

Thanx

So is your problem;

1. configuring SSH access to the router

2. configuring SSH access to the Linux server

or

3. configuring a VPN to (a) the router or (b) the Linux server?

"the VPN loaded" doesn't really mean a whole lot! VPN *to* the router, *through* the router? What is configured as the VPN server? Who configured it?

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Hi,

I resolved the problem. I opened the ssh protocol on router and then I'v made IP forwarding and they finaly were able to connect on Linux machine.

Thanx guys,
Soloxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back