Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH and terminal emulation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammarj

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
I realize this may be a lame question, but after perusing the O'Reilly SSH book and inquiring with several colleagues, nobody seems to be clear on this. What I have are terminal sessions running over the Internet to an in-house RS6000 running 4.3.2. The sessions use TVI950 emulation (ProComm) to run an application from PC's at various locations. We would like to further secure the connections. I initially thought it may be possible to use SSH to 'wrap' the current telnet session. What I am not clear about is whether any SSH clients support this functionality. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

John

Yes SSH can wrap telnet session, but SSH supports terminal sessions itself, try searching google for putty, it simply works with AIX

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, although putty works great, it doesn't seem to offer the emulation I need (TVI950). Can you describe how the 'wrap' the Procomm session?

yo run putty and ask it to forward port 23 from remote machine, then you can enjoy tviwhatever emulation when connecting with PROwhatever to specified port on your localhost

Thank you very much. Worked as advertised!

or you can have vt200 or vt100 or tvi950 response from putty if your app supports any of those

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back