Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH And Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

webuser

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
US
I have been exploring using SSH as the protocol to access a Remote Desktop Application for my customers. Every time I ask someone what the disadvantages or risks are, I get a long winded response that usually does not make sense to me. Here is my proposed scenario:

Terminal Services box with SSH Server on it (or possibly on another box). Clients will use freeware SSH client to tunnel RDP through to the SSH Server which will forward it to the Terminal Services box on the same machine. Some of the SSH clients have the ability to embed an encrypted UserName/Password in the client profile, that only the admin (me) would know. So they would need that profile file (essentialy like a certificate I think) plus a UserName/Password to access Remote Desktop.

I am trying to accomplish several goals:
Keep costs down and keep it simple

We have tried other solutions like SSL VPN or IPSec VPN etc, but each has it's drawbacks (too complex, too many extra machines to maintain etc.)
This SSH thing sounds too good to be true. Is it and why?

Please advise...

Thanks in advance!!!

We have used WiSSH.. We setup a linux SSH server and then connect through that to ANY computer on our internal network, Only port open to publich is SSH and that is secured through the linux login server. This setup works great! We have accomplished the same using Putty and the example above, but WiSSH was an easier solution for our non tech clients.

(SLM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back