Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSE Spline Evaluation Optimization - newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzslee

Programmer
Jan 2, 2004
US
Hi, I'm a n00bie in assembler coding and I was thinking that implementing my Catmull-Rom splines using SSE instructions would increase the performance over the c implementation replacing this function with:

inline void
evaluateCubicSpline( float cv0[], float cv1[], float cv2[], float cv3[], const float & b0, const float & b1, const float & b2, const float & b3, float vector[], int vecsize )
{
while( vecsize-- )
{
*vector++ = *cv0++ * b0 + *cv1++ * b1 + *cv2++ * b2 + *cv3++ * b3;
}

}

with this inline assembly:

inline void
evaluateCubicSplineAsm( float cv0[], float cv1[], float cv2[], float cv3[], const float & b0, const float & b1, const float & b2, const float & b3, float vector[], int vecsize )
{
float *vecend = vector + vecsize;

__declspec(align(16)) float B[4];

__asm
{

mov ecx, b0
mov eax, [ecx]
mov [B + 0 ], eax
mov [B + 4 ], eax
mov [B + 8 ], eax
mov [B + 12], eax
movaps xmm1,

mov ecx, b1
mov eax, [ecx]
mov [B + 0 ], eax
mov [B + 4 ], eax
mov [B + 8 ], eax
mov [B + 12], eax
movaps xmm3,

mov ecx, b2
mov eax, [ecx]
mov [B + 0 ], eax
mov [B + 4 ], eax
mov [B + 8 ], eax
mov [B + 12], eax
movaps xmm5,

mov ecx, b3
mov eax, [ecx]
mov [B + 0 ], eax
mov [B + 4 ], eax
mov [B + 8 ], eax
mov [B + 12], eax
movaps xmm7,

mov ecx, vector

mov edi, cv0
mov esi, cv1
mov eax, cv2
mov edx, cv3

_loop:

movaps xmm0, [edi]
mulps xmm0, xmm1
prefetcht0 [edi + 2048];
lea edi, [edi + 16]

movaps xmm2, [esi]
mulps xmm2, xmm3
prefetcht0 [esi + 2048];
lea esi, [esi + 16]

addps xmm0, xmm2

movaps xmm4, [eax]
mulps xmm4, xmm5
prefetcht0 [eax + 2048];
lea eax, [eax + 16]

movaps xmm6, [edx]
mulps xmm6, xmm7
prefetcht0 [edx + 2048];
lea edx, [edx + 16]

addps xmm4, xmm6

addps xmm0, xmm4

movntps [ecx], xmm0
lea ecx, [ecx + 16]

cmp vecend, ecx
jne _loop
}

}

I'm not sure of the prefetcht0 instruction placement or offset, but by trial and error, the current code location made an improvement.

The vector size I'm testing with is 60000 floats and the control point vectors are 16-byte aligned and contiguous in memory (cv0,cv1,cv2,cv3).

I would have expected a larger gain in performance since I was using 4-wide float registers, but I'm getting only 20% improvement.

Is there anything in the loop portion of the code that's really not efficient or just plain dumb?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

There are two things that I noticed about this algorithm.

1. It loads from 4 locations and stores into another one.
2. It calculates 4 vectors at a time.

These suggestions may not increase the run-time by much, but it's all I can offer without doing some tests.

1. Have you tried calculating each part of the equation piecewise? *cv0++ * b0 in one loop. + *cv1++ * b1 in the next, etc. You could calculate up to 8 vector pieces at a time (if you keep the b0,b1,b2,b3 splatted vectors in memory/cache). Unfortunately for the 2nd-4th sections, you'd have to do load and stores (load, add partial result, store result).

The main problem I see is that mulps can't be grouped with other instructions. Also, the 1st two instructions in each "piece" of your code are co-dependant on the same register.

I'm also not a fan of "lea" as you're using it, but I don't remember why. I'd just use "add".

However, I'm confident that if you're not getting at least 200% speed increase, then it's a memory/cache problem. mulps will put a damper in your results though.

Hope this will give you ideas.

A programmer is a device for converting Coke into software.

Assuming your c-compiler is any good (probably a fair assumption) you're doing well to get a 20% improvement by translation into assembler. Compilers are usually pretty good at handling a fairly short and simple loop like this, anyway. Have you had a look at what the c-compiler is writing, and why it should be bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back