Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSA disk array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwitt

MIS
Mar 7, 2000
US
My company just brought a RS6000 7026 B80. It came with the 2 disk drives and we bought four additional 7133 ssa . I would also like to use the 7133 disk array that is on our old R30 Risc box and preserve the data on it without during a restore. Can I just unplug the disk arrary from the R30 and connect it to the new Risc box(B80). How will the new Risc see the data or this can't be done without losing the data?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks

Note: We install B80 in the same rack as the R30. R30 will going away once all the data have been migrated to the B80. The R30 has four drives(SSA).

Iklon

interesting. you say you bought 4 new 7133 ssa. what does this mean? you bought 4 new enclosures or 4 new disks? what type of disks are they? can you mount them in a 7133-D40 or will they go into your old 7133-020? i am assuming the old 7133 ssa enclosure is an 020 or 010?

please provide the 4 ssa disk details, the enclosure details, your ssa adapter details in the B80 and in the R30.

assuming a lot of things you will be able to simply connect the B80 to the old 7133 enclosure and import the volume groups you had on the R30.

PS. dont get caught out by SSA microcode inconsistencies.

enjoy.

I would varyoff and export the volume group associated with
the array on the R30, You can then unplug it, then cable it up to the B80. Reboot the B80 or execute cfgmgr.
If the SSA is configured as a RAID-5 array, you should
see one hdisk associated with that array. If the SSA was not configured as a RAID-5 array and was configured as AIX System disks, then you will see an AIX system disk for each drive.

You can then use importvg to import the volume group,
This will create the ODM entries as well as the appropriate /etc/filesystems entries. You will have to mount the filesystems, as importvg does not do this for you. This is a good thing,, in case some of the filesystems on the moved SSA have the same name or already exist on the B80s.

You can then use the mount command to mount these imported filesystems. If you had special permissions on the logical volumes associated with the Volume group(s) on the R30, you will have to make those permission changes again.

Before you start, of course, a sysback or savevg of the volume group while on the R30 is appropriate. Always backup data on the SSA before performing such a move.

The exportvg of the SSA volume groups on the R30 will clean up any reference to logical volumes and filesystems that existed on the SSA so the R30 will not know anything about them. If you need to move the SSA back to the R30, you will have to perform the cfgmgr and importvg just as you did on the B80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back