Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Squirrel Classic question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CubbieFan

Technical User
May 16, 2005
I am trying to find out how to have 2 merchant numbers for credit cards in use on my Squirrel system at the same time. I have found where you add the additional merchant numbers for seperate departments but then I can't figure out how to have seperate credit card drivers in the Squirrel Data Tommorow directory. My credit card processer, Vital, tells me that a Terminal Id number can only have 1 merchant number attached to it. So why is there a place in the Squirrel setup for multiple merchant numbers for different departments? PLEASE HELP if you can or direct me to someone who can. Thanks!

The credit card drivers live in Squirrel\Bin.

If you copy the required drivers (more then 1 for example) into this directory then go into DRVCFG (From Squirrel\data\tomorrow) you can configure each driver individually.

Once you have configured the drivers, when you escape out of DRVCFG you will be shown a list of all your payment types and you can assign which credit card driver is used for each individual payment method -- for example, you can authorize and post all credit cards to GPS, except for AMEX which you can setup to authorize & post to AMEX. This is called "split dial".

If you call the Squirrel support desk, they can probably help you set this up.

Thanks for your response. I know how to copy the drivers and setup credit cards. What I need to know is how to have both my bar and my restaurant use seperate drivers with seperate merchant numbers. Anyone?

This cannot be department specific -- it is payment media specific -- each payment media is setup to use a specific driver.

You will not be able to configure this because you would need to duplicate all the credit card payments -- 1 set for each department -- which you can do, the problem is -- let's say you have B-VISA and D-VISA setup as payment medias -- they both have to have the same #'d range for the card type so the system would not be able to identify with the swipe -- this cannot be done.

You can have departmental merchant ID's, which you are aware, but this is still using only 1 cc driver.

So why is there a place in the Squirrel setup for multiple merchant numbers for different departments?

the reason for this is to have a split dial

split dial means: you can have two separate drivers
example: visanet and AMEX or Vital and visanet etc.....

but you cannot have 1 driver two different merchant ID or terminals ID for same driver.....

your terminal ID# is incharge of the Authorization of Credit cards, therefore has to be Unique and 1 TD# per driver on the other hand if you have two different proccessors you have two different TD# so you can setup in the system to be departmental

example: say you want to authorized AMEX in all departments except for 1 you can set it up so this department will not authorized cc's same applies for posting

good luck
if you need to contact squirrel support
1800 2888160
best regards,

Honda004, I think I follow you on split dial for Amex and Visanet BUT if I want to set up 2 drivers for split dial such as Visanet and Visanet can't I just use another named driver that uses the Visanet platform (i.e. Nova) and then have one department use Merchant Numbers (Visanet)and the other use S.E. numbers (Nova)? My concern is that everytime I would have a Visa swiped would it look at the correct driver?
As for the Squirrel Support phone number...are you kidding? They will tell me that I have to contact my credit card processor. That is what Squirrel support does they point the other direction and hope you don't call back.

Departmental merchant information is not specifically for split dial. It is for operations where the departments within squirrel may be separate merchants/companies within a property -- for example a hotel may have a pub that is leased by one company and a restaurant by another -- both departments can use the same system for authorizations, but their merchant #'s are departmentally specific, which in turn deposits the money into the appropriate bank account.

You cannot have the type of setup that you want because of the card types -- there are no way to indentify, by way of electronic capture (swipe), to identify the card AND tell Squirrel which credit card driver you want to use...UNLESS you have the server TOUCH the credit card type before they swipe, which they WILL forget to do.

So for example -- you have B-VISA (for the BAR department using VISANET) and you have D-VISA (for the dining department using NOVA). If a server goes into the auth screen they would touch either B-VISA or D-VISA and swipe the card -- the problem is that if they forget.....what will happen.

I have never seen this type of setup before & even question if you can setup two different credit card types with the same # range.

As per suchasynic, what you are trying to accomplish is not an option, the solution center would not assist (even if there were a band-aid fix you could rig up), as it would undoubtedly lead to angry calls from yourself when issues arose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back