Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Squirrel CC Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

winedude

Technical User
Oct 16, 2004
US
I'm a Restaurant Manager and had a problem in the manager functions screen. Our credit card numbers are masked (atericks for the first 11 digits), and I mistakenly went into the settlement screen, and voided out the payment, while trying to adjust a service charge. I already had the signed cc slip and the auth. number, but had to call the customer and get her full cc number again to reprocess the payment. Is there anywhere in the system I could have gone to view the full cc number and been spared the embarrassment? Maybe voided credit card report?

What version of squirrel are you using? 3.x 4.x 1.x

You should be set up to print the full CC number on the merchant copy, and the customer copy should be masked. That way you have a copy of the number with the cashouts.

The information IS maintained in Squirrel for a period of time (10-14 days) and can usually be recovered by the Squirrel support people.

Steve

How do you get the cc# to print on the merchant copy, and not on the customer copy?

The default setting for cc masking is to be masked on the customer copy only. I'm curious as to why the server did not have the merchant copy with the full # on it.

A voided credit card report would have given you the whole number. If you are using Squirrel Classic -- you would have to use the Preview Cashout & Revenue module to view this information before shutdown, after shutdown, the Cashout & Revenue Module.

If you are using SquirrelONE then the Voided Credit Card Report can be accessible before or after shutdown.

On the SquirrelOne system, the default setting is masking on the guest copy only. But on the 3.x and 4.x systems, masking cover either both copies or no copies. If you have masking turned on and have voided a credit card before the card was settled, you can call the support desk and have them retreive the number if credit card tracking has been turned on.

This question pertains to credit card info not on the voided credit card report....If the info for a voided credit card, (before settlement), "is in the computer", why do i have to call the squirrel help desk?? I want to find it on my computer myself, i can call heartland payment systems to get the rest of the number, (and have done this before)if i have to...

thanks

why don't you just settle the check to cash -- which would make the cc appear on the voided credit card report within Preview Cashout & Revenue...and then you can simply adjust the check to be on the cc, not to cash?

or how about writing down the credit card number on the auth screen before voiding it?

You can call your processor to get the rest of the card number instead of Squirrel, but finding it yourself is pretty hard. Call them up and ask them, maybe they will show you how.

You can train your servers to bypass this by settling to cash and then adjust it back, or by writing down the number, but servers don't always remember to do these things in the heat of the moment. And if the whole point of masking the card is to increase the security of the number, why would you want servers walking around with card numbers written down on paper?

Squirrel 3.x (classic) and 4.x

open a command prompt by clicking start > run > type 'cmd' in the 'open' box, and press enter (NT and XP, for 95 type 'command').

type sdt and press enter, which should take you to c:\squirrel\data\today

type 'copy hcm*.dat c:\' without quotes and press enter. if done correctly, you will see at least '1 file copied' above the line with your flashing cursor.
type cd\ and press enter. this should take you back to c:\

now type 'dir hcm*' without quotes and press enter, which should list at least one file called hcm_0.dat, but could include more starting with hcm_1.dat, hcm_2.dat, etc.

type 'notepad hcm_x.dat' without quotes, where x is the sequenced number you wish to open. always start with hcm_0.dat and work your way up from there. if done correctly, this should open the file in a notepad window, which will look like a bunch of gibberish, as it's a log of the communication between the terminal/host pc/credit card network.

in NT click 'search', in XP click 'edit', then 'find'. in the search for box, key in the last 4 or 5 digits of the CC you are looking to retrieve (depending on how many the version you are on is masking).

if the file contains the CC# in question, it should show up at the bottom of the window highlighted in blue, the preceding numbers should be the 1st 3/4 of the card number you are looking for. If the number doesn't look like a full CC, click 'find next' until you either find the number further on, or it reaches the end without finding the number at all, in which case you would close the window, and move on to hcm_1.dat, etc.

once you have it written down, simply close off notepad, and the command prompt, and you're done.. go re-enter it from a terminal.

SquirrelOne

the steps are almost identical, just the location the files live in is different.

open a command prompt, and type 'cd squirrel', press enter, then 'cd host', press enter, then 'cd host1' and press enter. this should put you in c:\squirrel\host\host1, from there, follow the steps above to copy the hcm files to c:\, and open in notepad as outlined above as well.

the reason you should copy them out of the folders they live in before opening them is that the system is constantly writing to those files while it is up and running. If you were to simply open it up, you could potentially corrupt the file.

Hopefully this helps, it's the steps the solution center will walk you through if you call, so if you feel uncomfortable with this just call it in and they will walk you through it.

well.. that is, if it doesn't show up on the voided credit card report :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back