Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Squid Installation in Redhat 9 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugoY

Programmer
Feb 12, 2004
PH
Im new with Linux but I plan to install a Cache Server using squid the problem is I don't know how to setup the squid in Redhat 9. Can anyone help me?Please kindly give the step by step procedures.

Thanks

If you are new to linux and would like a gui to help you setup all your servers (and firewall ;-) ) , You may want to take a look at webmin. It will help you setup and admin just about everything on your linux box. You access it through your browser so you can admin your servers remotely. The great thing about it is that you don't need to know a lot about what you're doing. You just fill in some forms and webmin does the rest. You can find it here:
Did I mention that it was free?

If this isn't for you, I was able to find a "how-to" but it's for debian. Maybe you'll be able to translate it into redhatese:

Can anyone post a sample squid.conf got squid running but im not sure if it will function as a cache server yet. Thnx

have you stepped thru the squid.conf file to check the defaults, and see what is said regards the cache options

regards

Got the squid running but dont know if it works as a cache how can i check it mostly i just put on the defaults. need to learn more can anybody help me. my network has a proxy server how can i den point it to the cache will the cache server require 2 LAN Cards like the proxy.Would a Pentuim III with 256 MB memory and 40 G hard disk be enough for a cache server

WAN <--- MODEM <--- PROXY <---- LAN

Squid is a proxy cache server. It sounds like you want to have two setup on your network. If you tell us what you are trying to do, we can help configure your system.

Here is the setup i want to implement

WAN <--- MODEM <--- CACHE <--- PROXY/FIREWALL <--- LAN

I intend to use Linux in all server applications.

Thnx

If you were to run squid and iptables, you could have everything on one server as you suggest. You would accept requests for squid on the lan side with iptables and pass them to port 3128 (I think that is the port squid uses, I'm not sure). If you are still trying to find out if squid is working, you can use squidclient to put some output to a file called test:

squidclient &gt; test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back