Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Squeezed on disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbajock

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
US
I have to upgrade a Win NT 4 server to W2K server. It is a member server of a three server domain, and is used mostly for storage. The boot drive only has 800 megs of total space, of which 157 megs is open. I have to perserve the exisiting apps, so I am going to have to do an upgrade rather than a clean install. Am I going to bomb out due to lack of disk space during the upgrade? If so, what can I do to prevent this ? Will W2k reside on an 800 meg partition? If not, are there any re-partioning tricks or tools that can help me out ? Any feedback appreciated!
Thanks

Partition Magic will allow you to extend the basic system partition to a larger partition. Windows will not let you extend a basic partition by default, and you normally have to use a third party tool to do so.
Thanks,
jeremy

I think Partition Magic can't work in your case since you are using NT Server. You can try inserting a new harddisk, format it, then use Norton Ghost to copy the disk partition to the new disk.

Does Setup allow me to choose the upgrade option and then point the W2K location to another disk ? I have the option of setting IDE0 or IDE1 as the boot drive. IDE0 is the one out space, while IDE1 has a boatload of space.

vbajock,

No, you'll need to make the current partition bigger first. Edwin's suggestion of ghosting partition to larger one is reasonable. You could also try buying Acronis Partition Expert which does run on NT & 2k server.

PS. Win2k may just squeeze onto an empty 800MB partition (small paging file, no space left, so wouldn't run!) - but it certainly won't upgrade on space you have.

PPS. Are there that many apps to 'preserve' (ie, how long just to reinstall on a clean install? And, clean installs are always best for future stability).

Its an old server so of course the client doesn't know where half the original app software is. I've decided to do an MS support thing. I will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for your help. Kirk

I believe Win2K Server has RAID "1" built in. No??

ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back