Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sqlservr.exe growing up quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninhovid

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
MX
Hi everybody...

I have a web server with sql server installed... running vb apps and asps...
it has 2 GB of RAM

sqlservr.exe is growing up.. right now its 1.8 GB big!
what can be happening?
i have to stop it and restart it... but in less than an hour its getting bigger again!

thanks in advance
is there something i can configure in sql so it cant get bigger than 1 GB?

You probably have SQL Server set up for its defaults. The default is for SQL Server to use ALL but about 128 MB of memory.

Open Enterprise Manager, expand to find the instance. Right click on the instance. Select Properties. Go to the Memory tab. Move the 'slider' for Maximum memory somewhat to the left (so it's not at the max). You may have to 'play' with this over a period of time to get the best amount for your setup.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

yes, i had it for its defaults...
i'll play with it...

so, it depends on the programs using sql right? about its growing...

thanks!

No, SQL Server will manage the memory on any server it is installed on. If you have 2 GB of Physical RAM then SQL will use 1.7 to 1.8 of that. leaving about 200 MB for OS. If there are other addition programs installed on the same server as your SQL server they have to send requests for memeory to the SQL instance. SQL will not give up that memory if there are processes using it. That is why it is recommended that you don't installed SQL Server on App servers. If you application is not big enough to warrent it's own SQL Server then increase the physical memory to 3 or 4GB of RAM. SQL 2000 STD edition can only use 2 GB of Mem max. That will free up the rest of the memory for your other applications.

- Paul
- Database performance looks fine, it must be the Network!

Also, SQL 2000 needs at least 512 mb of mem. So don't set the max mem below that. I would set the max mem to 1 gb in your case. But you are going to take a performance hit. Keep an eye on paging and check the SQL Buffer counter MAx page life expetancy. If it gets below 300 on a consistant basis you are going to need more memory.

- Paul

its my web and sql server...
the apps are installed on the client side...

thanks

So you are running IIS on this server? Is it open to the public or just internal? Here is a great link that talks about IIS and SQL server installed on the same box.

There are many reasons not to have IIS and SQL on the same server. Security, stability, upgrades and performance are just a few.

- Paul

i'll check it right away
we are planning to separate them...
=)

But for right now, move that slider for max memory down a bit to the left so you leave a little bit of memory for other processes.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

i have moved that slider...
i hope my problems disappear in the mean time with that... meanwhile we are preparing the iis and sql split up...

thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back