Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQLQueryString Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

deedar

Programmer
Aug 23, 2007
PK
I am using Visual Basic 6, Crystal Reports 10 and SQL Server 2000. In crystal reports, I used Add Command and entered an SQL Query for the report. This query retrieves all transactions of a year.

In visual basic, I created a selection form, in which user enters selection criteria for Post Entry Date, Transaction Number and Journal Code. I initially used Report1.RecordSelectionFormula, but it filters the record on client side and retrieving all year transactions from server takes a lot of time.

I then decided to use Report1.SQLQueryString. To test it, I entered sample transaction range, post entry date range and journal code range in SQL Query and run this query in SQL Server 2000. Then I copied that query to SQLQueryString:

Report1.SQLQueryString = QueryTestedOnSQLServer

But when I watched the contents of Report1.SQLQueryString in Immediate Window, after executing the above statement, it showed the same SQL Query that was originally written in Crystal Reports Add Command.

Don't use CR, but if I follow correctly, you may need to refresh the connection to the report between queries to reflect changes, as is often the case with the VB DataReport designer. Just a shot in the dark...
Also VB6 SP6 is good to have.

"Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by killing all those who opposed them."

I figured out the problem. But still I am unable to solve the problem and the report is being run with Report1.RecordSelectionFormula.

For testing, I created a sample database db1.mdb having 1 table t1 with fields f1,f2 and f3. I created a sample report myrpt.rpt. In Database Expert, I shifted table t1 in Selected Tables list. Then I placed f1,f2 and f3 on the report.

Form containing the Crystal Report Viewer control has the following code:

Code:
Dim Application As New CRAXDRT.Application
Dim Report As New CRAXDRT.Report

Private Sub Form_Load()

Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
Set Report = Application.OpenReport("C:\test\myrpt.rpt")
Report.SQLQueryString = "Select * From t1 where f1 between '1' and '3'"
CRViewer1.ReportSource = Report
CRViewer1.ViewReport
Screen.MousePointer = vbDefault

End Sub

I have 5 records in table t1. Code executed successfully and report showed 3 records; 1,2, and 3.

Then I opened myrpt.rpt in Crystal Reports. In the Database Expert, I removed table t1 from Selected Tables list. Then I double-clicked Add Command in Current Connections and entered the following SQL Query:

Code:
SELECT T1.f1, T1.f2, T1.f3
FROM T1;

Then I placed f1,f2 and f3 on the report.

Now when I executed the VB Code, it returned all 5 records instead of 3 records. Also, in the immediate window, Report.SQLQueryString did not show WHERE clause.

So, SQLQueryString is not working when Add Command option is used in Crystal Reports for entering SQL Query

I used ParameterFields as a work-around to this problem. The following code executed successfully:

Code:
Dim Application As New CRAXDRT.Application
Dim Report As New CRAXDRT.Report

Private Sub Form_Load()

Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
Set Report = Application.OpenReport("C:\test\myrpt.rpt")
Report.ParameterFields(1).AddCurrentValue ("1")
Report.ParameterFields(2).AddCurrentValue ("3")
CRViewer1.ReportSource = Report
CRViewer1.ViewReport
Screen.MousePointer = vbDefault

End Sub

In myrpt.rpt file, Modify Command window has the following SQL query:

Code:
SELECT T1.f1, T1.f2, T1.f3
FROM T1
where f1 between '{?b.emp}' and '{?e.emp}';

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search