Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQLExpress regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimdeb03

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2002
US
We're in the process of adding another server for an upcoming programming project. We're anticipating SQLExpress on this box. We have SQL Server on another box for our accounting program

The primary reason for going to SQLExpress is cost

Yet I'm concerned if SQLExpress will perform as well as a SQL Server install. I'm aware of some of the differences, like the limit of concurrent users, no DTS, and a 4GB limit.

While hardly earth shattering are these differences, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in forging ahead with SQLExpress and shortly afterward, wished to have gone with SQL Server instead.

Any reqrets?
Jim

SQL Express does not have the user limit that SQL 2000 MSDE had. DTS is dead, it's been replaced with SSIS, however SQL Express doesn't include SSIS either.

SQL Express doesn't have a SQL Agent either.

As long as you don't need SSIS, or the SQL Agent you'll be fine. If you do need the agent then you can use the task scheduler to run scheduled tasks.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Thanks for the reply. We're going ahead with SQLExpress and will work fine for our needs.
If we bump up the 4GB limit, which won't happen for a while if at all, then we'll have to upgrade

If you do ever need to upgrade keep the Workgroup edition in mind. It's less expensive than Standard, but better than Express.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back