Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sqlexec() cause foxpro to crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDice

Programmer
Mar 1, 2004
US
I'm using sqlexec in a number of places, but when I use it on a certain stored procedure, VFP just crashes. no messages, no nothing; just completely disappears. Anyone know what this is? I'm using a sql server backend. I call other stored procedures in the same app, and not a problem. I call sqlexec() 3 times in the same function, and the other two calls don't have a problem. I even switched the text to call a different sproc there, and it works fine. It only fails when I call this one specific sproc. I also tried this exact same call in sql Query Analyzer and it works. This is the call:

Code:
exec pr_AddWork 126
"

that fails. If I use:

Code:
"exec pr_AddPerson 126
"
it goes through just fine.

BlackDice

BlackDice,

More information please:

- What version of VFP are you using?

- How many result sets would you expect the sproc to return?

- Is there anything unusual about the sproc itself?

- You say you are calling SQLEXEC() three times in the same function. Have you tried removing it from the function, and just calling it on its own (to isolate the possibility that there is other code in your function that is causing the problem)>

- You say that VFP "just completely disappears". Is it still visible in the Windows Task Manager?

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

When you say a "large number of result sets", are you talking about four or five, or 10 or 20, or hundreds?

I don't know if there is a limit on the number of result sets within VFP (I would guess not), but if you can temporarily amend the sproc so that it only returns one or two, that would at least eliminate that possibility.

Mike

My sites:

WAY in the hundreds. This sproc creates a cursor, that in turn calls 4 or five other sprocs and the cursor may have about 100-200 iterations. But I think result sets are being returned for all the sprocs it calls also which are simple select statements that are only returning 1 or 2 rows. I'm now trying to find a way for SQL Server to not return any output, because i don't actually need any cursors or anything returned.

BlackDice

I think you're on the right track. In any case, it sounds like there's an awful lot of overhead in that sproc. Processing a SQL Server-type cursor is inefficient at the best of times, and if it is doing 100 - 200 iterations, plus any possible locking that might be going on behind the scenes .... it will all be very slow and clumsy.

If nothing else, I would have thought there was a risk of the connection timing out, or of the server going into a deadly embrace. That shouldn't cause VFP to crash, of course, but it does sound like a situation to avoid if possible.

Mike

My sites:

yeah, the person who wrote the sproc put values into most of the variables by using SELECT's. I'm changing that now by using SET's . Also a lot of the smaller sprocs ended with SELECT statements so that they would return a cursor. I'm modifying that so that a result set won't be returned if you don't want one, simply by putting in a parameter that defaults to 1 so it won't break any existing code that uses that sproc and expects a result set.

BlackDice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back