Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 3412 generated fatal exception 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebies

Programmer
Mar 7, 2002
US
Lately my SQL Server has been giving me these errors (Found in the Event Viewer under Application):

---
17310 :
SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 3412 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.
---

And right afterwards (within a second or so usually) I see this error:

---
17311 :
SQL Server is aborting. Fatal exception c0000005 caught.
---

How can I further identify the problem or find out how to stop this from happening?

Andrew

What are the SQL SERVER and the Operating Sytem versions?

Can you find the command or commands that are issuing the problem?
If not - I suggest you to run traces for the SQL SERVER activity (SQL PROFILER) and try to identify the commands occuring arround the time of the exception.
It seems like a problem between SQL SERVER and the OS.

"A long life is when each day is full and every hour wide!"
(A Jewish Mentor)
M. [hourglass]

Check the the folder with the Event Logs. Are you seeing dump files with the same date and time? Within these files you may see the query that was being run.

You will probably need to send these files to Microsoft to find out the problem.

What service pack and patch level are you at?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

Sorry, I guess I should have said that at first. It's Windows 2003 Standard with SQL 2000 with SP3a. I'm not quite savvy enough to know exactly what the "patch level" is.

When I look in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

I see a few files, but nothing that really helps me out a whole lot! There are a bunch of files, and many can't be opened because someone else is using them (I assume at the system level or Event Viewer itself.) Any guidance with this?

As for sending any files to Microsoft, what files would I send them and what would I expect them to help me with? Might it just be easier to backup all databases, uninstall SQL Server and re-install it to see if that changes anything?

Andrew

Can you please tell me - the OS login that is used to run the SQL SERVER SERVICE - is it administrator?

(A Jewish Mentor)
M. [hourglass]

No it has it's own account set up named SQLService. When I look at it in Services, it's "Log On As" field is set as ".\SQLService". The SQLService user is a member of Administrators and of Users.

please issue the following command
(in QUERY ANALYZER) :
exec xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\'

(A Jewish Mentor)
M. [hourglass]

The results are as follows... (Note 'a1logs' is from A1Monitor, my server monitoring software that restarts the server if the website stops responding and 'BlueDragon' is my ColdFusion application server. They both should be there and seem to be running fine - outside of this SQL Server problem!)

---

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 1061-1728
NULL
Directory of c:\
NULL
07/06/2005 08:13 PM <DIR> a1logs
04/14/2004 03:28 PM 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT
07/06/2005 08:12 PM <DIR> BlueDragon_Server_62
06/07/2005 11:40 PM 70,136 BlueDragon_Server_installation_error.log
06/07/2005 11:40 PM 18,602 BlueDragon_Server_installation_output.log
04/14/2004 03:28 PM 0 CONFIG.SYS
06/15/2005 04:47 PM <DIR> Documents and Settings
04/16/2004 08:03 PM <DIR> Inetpub
07/09/2005 01:22 PM <DIR> perflogs
06/20/2005 04:09 PM <DIR> Program Files
10/25/2004 05:32 PM <DIR> Win2k3setupfiles
07/09/2005 02:57 PM <DIR> WINDOWS
04/14/2004 03:29 PM <DIR> wmpub
06/06/2005 11:16 PM <DIR> WUTemp
5 File(s) 88,747 bytes
12 Dir(s) 115,316,314,112 bytes free
NULL

OK...
I found the following link : and it says that the sp3a patch solves the problem.
Are you sure it is SP3a you have there? Please right click on your SQL SERVER instance in the Enterprise Manager --> properties and tell me the SERVER version.

(A Jewish Mentor)
M. [hourglass]

You could be right!? I installed from the CD, but do think I might have forgotten to put the Service Pack 3a after installation.

SQL Server Properties:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT - 5.2 (3790)
Product Version: 8.00.194 (RTM)

Does that version indicate I forgot to install SP3a?

Andrew

Yes that means that you did not install SP3a.

The log files I was referring to will be in something like c:\program files\microsoft sql server\MSSQL\log. Check the Errorlog in Enterprise Manger (Server > Management > SQL Server Logs). One of the first lines should give you the path. The dump logs will be in the same place.

Install SP3a (or better yet SP4) and see if that clears up the problem for you.

Denny

[noevil]

Thanks Denny,

I just installed SP3a and everything seems okay. This usually takes a few hours before crashing, so I'm going to give the server a little room to see if it's stable with the service pack.

Andrew

Well two days and counting and I have yet to see SQL Server restart. Will keep an update in this thread!

Many thanks Denny! I think your insight on my oversight was right on. At least I'm hoping it stays this way!

Andrew

Excellent. Knock on wood, hopefully it's all fixed.

Denny

[noevil]

4 Days an problem seems to be completely eliminated! Thank you so much mrdenny and especially micha123 for your help on this issue! I totally thought I had installed SP3, but I simply forgot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back