Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2K Log Shipping between 2 Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharroff

MIS
Nov 17, 2000
US
I have a W2k3SBS server (server1) and a W2kSBS server (server2) both running SQL2k. I need to set up log shipping between these servers.

I have tried setting up log shipping per MrDenny's FAQ. However, since these are both SBS I can not have them in the same domain and I can not save the database to the drives on server2 (tried using both UNC and mapped drives). I am able to map drives in Windows but SQL can not see these mapped drives.

The Windows admin and SQL Admin password are the same on both boxes. I have tried changing my SQL Agent to log in using the server1 windows domain\admin account and I have tried using Net Use with the server2s domain\admin account to map drive.

It seems that the SQL agent insist on running with the Server1 domain accounts and therefore fails everytime it tries to access the drives on Server2

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would suggest running the SQL agent as a local user in the Admin group. Create the same user on both machines, with the same password. Make sure the user name is not computername/user but rather just put the user name. This is commonly reffered to as PassThru Auth. It is basically a way to trick the auth.

Also, by changing this make, sure your not breaking anythign else.

Finally, I do not think you can trust 2 diffent SBS domains.

Q

Being that these are SBS servers, they are both DCs, so there are no local users.

You are correct about not being able to set up trusts between 2 SBS domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back