Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2005 Backup Failing When Envoked By Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

apc2004

Programmer
Aug 23, 2005
GB
Hi all,

Awhile back I was having trouble getting our companies client software to execute a DMO backup routine (C#) on an SQL2005 database. The answer was to put the database in Compatibility mode and then to install the DMO Backward Compatibility patch for .net 1.1.

Well my problem has came back again to bite me this week, though am very confused as to why...

When running our client software from the customers server and calling the DMO backup routine, everything works fine... running the same client software on one any of the customers workstations connecting to the same database on the same server as above mentioned the backup fails.

Has anyone had this problem or similar and can shed any light on it ?

Thanks in advance... [smile]

Does the login have one of the following permissions?
BACKUP DATABASE and BACKUP LOG permissions default to members of the sysadmin fixed server role and the db_owner and db_backupoperator fixed database roles.

- Paul
- Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.

Yes indeed. Security and permissions where my first thought but have give users access and even full access (for testing) and the problem remains.

Have ran tests on our workstations and server here at our office and we don't get the problem, have checked server settings on our customers server and they match our own.

This one has me totally stumped.

Hey - did you check what was installed on the client's machine? Were all of the proper updates/software components in place?

From what the main hardware guy here tells me all the workstations are up to date and have even got the new XP SP3 installed on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back