Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2000 on Win2k Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

lug

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2001
GB
Hi guys,

I have just finished building myself a SQL cluster, everything is working perfectly except that the backup job (Backup Exec 8.6)is not backing up the DB's. I think it might be a logon problem because i also noticed that the SQL Service Manager is by default trying to attach to node\sql1 rather than the cluster\sql1. I can manually change it and cluster\sql1 is an available choice but after a reboot it keeps going back to looking at the local node. Hopefully someone out there knows what this is all about, any help would be fantasic as i am at my wits end! Thanks.

I have BE v8.6 loaded on a W2K two node cluster backing up my SQL Advanced Server 2000.

First....here's a very important web site:

go there and in the support search box, type 238586
that will give you the install directions for loading on a cluster.

from the home page also go to online documentation > Backup Exec >Backup Exec for WIndows NT and 2000
that will give you the Administrator's manual.

Now about your question:
You need to have loaded the following:
2 licenses for Backup Exec
2 licenses for Remote Agent Option
and probably 1 license for Library Expansion Option if you have a tape library

When you loaded the 2 BE licenses one should have changed to a new number and Cluster Support.

I found I couldn't back up anything on my cluster until I loaded the remote agent options. One way to test what the problem is...uninstall the program, reinstall it but skip the license part - this loads it as an evaluation verson. Then when you tell it what options to load, make sure you add the remote agent to the list. If everything works under the evaluation copy, you know the problem is with your licenses. If it still doesn't work, you entered something incorrectly at one of the steps. This is how I tracked down my problem.

Also, is your cluster Active/Passive or Active/Active? If active/passive DO NOT install BE on the secondary node. Just fail the cluster over from primary to secondary, reboot primary, fail the cluster back to the primary and reboot the secondary. Remember - DO NOT use the install disk on the secondary node!

-SQLBill

Thanks for the reply, SQLBill!

Very sorry, i didn't mention that I am backing up from a dedicated backup server, the only elements I installed on the 2 nodes was the agent (ntaa), but yes i did install it on both nodes (is this right or wrong?). Also it is active/passive.
When browsing and selecting the sql cluster CLUSTER1(from BE on the backup server) it asks my for valid credentials, accepts them, and then correctly displays the list of databases on the sql instance (SQL1)available for backing up. It allows me to select them but then somehow when it tries to back up it says item not found and that it is unable to attach to the sql instance (CLUSTER1\SQL1).... wierd.

If you are active/passive, you don't want to use the install disk on both nodes...

you install on the primary node, the reboot and let it fail over to the secondary node. BE then (without the disk) loads what it needs to onto the secondary node. Then, when the primary node is up, you reboot the secondary and let it fail back to the primary.

I found that if you use the install disk on both nodes of an active/passive cluster, it won't work.

-SQLBill

if you have SQL2000 Service Pack 2 installed try setting following registry values on both cluster nodes:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

"NoRemapPipes" = REG_MULTI_SZ with two lines containing "winreg" and "svcctl"

use regedt32.exe - with regedit.exe you cannot create a REG_MULTI_SZ value.

i had the problem with BE 8.5/SQL2000SP2 but in my case BE did´nt show the SQL server under the virtual cluster name. After creating this reg-values everything runs since more than one year without any backup troubles on database backup

Bmmini1

Please check the date of the post before you respond to it. The last post to this thread was APRIL 19, 2002 (by me). Since there haven't been any futher posts, you can pretty much guess that no one cares about this anymore.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back