Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Transaction Log Backup error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmwagner

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
I have the following SQL running in a job:
BACKUP LOG [BellSouthADSL] TO DISK = N'D:\MSSQL2K\MSSQL\Backup\BellSouthADSL\BellSouthADSL_TransLog.bak' WITH NOINIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'BellSouthADSL Tran backup', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

Last night it began to fail after 2 months of working fine. Nothing was changed last night, and I can't seem to find anything helpful regarding this error:

Server: Msg 823, Level 24, State 3, Line 1
I/O error 87(The parameter is incorrect.) detected during write at offset 0x0000001e01a000 in file 'd:\MSSQL2k\MSSQL\data\BellSouthADSL_Data.MDF'.

Connection Broken

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Robert Wagner

Yes, I re-ran the job with the same result, then grabbed the SQL from the job and ran it in QA to produce the error.

Thanks,
Robert Wagner

Have you tried renaming the existing backup file and rerunning the job?

No luck. The error is in the Data file. Is there some way to run an integrity check on the data file?

I ran DBCC CHECKDB and DBCC CHECKFILEGROUP
Both returned no errors. Meanwhile I haven't got a backup in two days. Does anyone have any other ideas?

May have a bad disk ... can you run checkdisk on the D: drive?

Thanks

J. Kusch

I ran checkdisk through utilities on drive properties (without the fix boxes checked, to avoid having to reboot right now), and it didn't detect any problems.

Thanks,
Robert Wagner

do you have another drive, say E:, that you can test the command against?

Thanks

J. Kusch

Yes, but they are all in the same RAID 10 array. Do you think it would still help?

Thanks,
Robert Wagner

Hi Robert,

How did you get rid of this error? We've been able to back up but the error is still showing. We've done everything you put in the post with no luck.

Thanks,

Laura.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back