Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql Syntax problem / PB 7.0.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stpoint

Programmer
Aug 19, 2004
US
I have a Window that calls a datawindow with lookup values. I have unit tested the data window and it works properly but when I run the Window I get the error:

Select Error ORA-00911: invalid character.

Also, in the data window SQL builder I cannot see the entire SQL statement. Has anyone had this problem?

Perhaps if I can see the SQL statement you have and all the fields in your datawindow.

You can always choose 'convert to syntax' while in the dw painter to get the entire sql statement for the datawindow.

Here is the SQL code:
SELECT BWDBO.stsu_ship_unit.cont_scl_no ,
BWDBO.stsu_ship_unit.cont_ordr_no ,
...(snip)...
BWDBO.stsu_ship_unit.su_expt_ctl_class_no
FROM {oj BWDBO.stsu_ship_unit LEFT OUTER JOIN bwdbo.stsc_contract_register ON BWDBO.stsu_ship_unit.cont_scl_no = bwdbo.stsc_contract_register.cont_scl_no AND BWDBO.stsu_ship_unit.cont_ordr_no = bwdbo.stsc_contract_register.cont_ordr_no}
WHERE ( BWDBO.STSU_SHIP_UNIT.CONT_SCL_NO = :sales_class ) and ( BWDBO.STSU_SHIP_UNIT.CONT_ORDR_NO = :eek:rder_no ) and ( BWDBO.STSU_SHIP_UNIT.CONT_UNIT_NO = :unit_no) and ( BWDBO.STSU_SHIP_UNIT.SU_ID_SOURCE_CODE = :source_code) and ( BWDBO.STSU_SHIP_UNIT.SU_ID_SEQ_NO = :suid_seq_no)

When I open the data window and to Rows->Retrieve, it works but through the Data Window is responds with a ORA error meesage.

Update:

Apparently the LEFT OUTER JOIN syntax, which works find in an ODBC tool is not being interpreted by Oracle correctly.

"FROM {oj BWDBO.stsu_ship_unit LEFT OUTER JOIN ..."
causes the ORA-00911 error message. If I change the outer join to .. WHERE a = b (+), it works properly.

Go figure.

You have just found a reason to use ANSI SQL Join syntax for these types of queries.

LEFT OUTER JOIN is Ansi Standard. the (+) syntax is not. How do I have PB use the Ansi with Oracle?

Convert your datawindow SQL to syntax and PB will use the exact statement written.

The datawindow is already converted to syntax. I don't seem to be able to convert it back. ugh!

The point is - you don't convert it back. PB then uses the syntax as written - it does not try to 'convert' it which is what happens when you use graphic mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back