Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Syntax in SQL Server and Powerbuilder connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvin2010

Programmer
Mar 5, 2010
PH
Please help.

I am trying to connect to two databases (with several tables connected to each other) in Powerbuilder 9.0 using MS SQL SERVER 2008. In SQL Painter (Design Mode) in PB, only one active connection is seen.

How can I do the design of the tables when I need to use two database connectivity?

If it can't be done in design mode (convert to syntax instead), how will the sql syntax should be then?

Please advise.

Many thanks.

I'm thinking you need to do this via a stored procedure which would then connect to a linked server to retrieve whatever data you need and returns all the data as one record set. In PB when you use the stored proc as the data source, you would see the columns returned and can design your datawindow layout and etc.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

Hi Matt,

Is that so? Oh my...kinda hard....

Thanks a lot for the thought. Appreciate it.

You could always write the stored proc on the server PB is linked to and point to it that way. I've had stored procs getting data from 3-4 different databases and different DBMS (SQL Server 2005 and Oracle). Once you get the stored proc working properly it's simple to implement in PB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back