Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql svr backup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

msyam

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
MY
hi..
I have a question. earlier my ex-colleague did backup for sql server 6.5 database using other server and hp tape drive for earlier version. since migrated to a new server, we use the HP DAT40e tape drive. the earlier used tapes can still be read nad restored into the new server. but the problem when trying to do backup to the tape(dds 90 meter). error msg show "...cannot write on a write protected tape.." how can i make use of the tapes for a little longer (another 30-40 times backup)? what should I do?..

note: I'm not sure whether this problem should be for sql server problem or hp data backup..can anyone please help.

Since you can restore the information from the tapes to the server, have you tried:

Restore the data to the server
Reformat the tapes
Backup the data and any additional data to the newly formatted tapes.

Thanks for the response Bill.
How can I reformat the tapes? thru WinNT or SQL?..Can you tell me steps to do it?

Thanks again Bill.

When you are ready to do the backup add the FORMAT option to the WITH part of your BACKUP command.

For example:

USE MASTER

BACKUP DATABASE {database_name}
TO <backup_device>
WITH FORMAT

Hope that helps you and solves your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back