Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql subtotals and grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

moleboy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
GB
I'm stuck with my sp. I'm trying to get a recordset containing assessment, staff, team, score, ave score, team ave score.

I'm stuck on the ave scores

SELECT Score, TeamID, staffID, (??) AS AveScore, (??) as TeamAveScore
FROM tblAssessment
GROUP BY TeamID, Score, staffID
ORDER BY TeamID

I keep getting group by errors when using subqueries within the select. Any ideas on how best to do this??

I think you'll need to remove "Score" from your original query - why do you want it in each row? If you do want it, you'll need two derived tables - my code uses only one...

Code:
SELECT a.TeamID, a.staffID, avg(a.score) AS AveScore, dt.teamAvg
FROM  tblAssessment a
JOIN (SELECT teamID, avg(score) as teamAvg FROM tblAssessment GROUP BY teamID) dt ON a.teamID = dt.teamID
GROUP BY TeamID, staffID
ORDER BY TeamID

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

zen.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back