Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL string not being accepted??

Status
Not open for further replies.

timnicholls

Technical User
Oct 31, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I am trying to pass a different set of names (clients or staff) to a single combobox given a selection of an option group.

I can get them to the combox if the query is simple. That is if there is nothing like SELECT [Surname] & ", " & [First Name]. But SELECT [Surname] FROM ... I can get to work, however its not what I want.

In the code below the first hurdle is (& ", " &) just after [Surname] in the first line.

The SQL is just from a query which works fine.

Can anybody help to get this SQL to work?

Thanks
Code:
Private Sub Frame106_AfterUpdate()
Dim strSQL As String

If Me.Frame106 = 1 Then

strSQL=  "SELECT [Surname] & ", " & [First Name] AS Client_Name, Clients.[First Name], Clients.Surname, Clients.Status FROM Clients WHERE (((Clients.Status) = "A")) ORDER BY [Surname];"

Me.Combo24.RowSource = strSQL

End If

If Me.Frame106 = 2 Then

strSQL = "SELECT Employees.[Surname],Employees.[First Name], Employees.[Status] FROM Employees WHERE (((Employees.Status) = "C" Or (Employees.Status) = "F" Or (Employees.Status) = "P")) ORDER BY [Surname] & ", " & [First Name];" 

End If

Try this:

Code:
If Me.Frame106 = 1 Then

strSQL=  "SELECT ([Surname] & ', ' & [First Name] AS Client_Name, Clients.[First Name], Clients.[Surname], Clients.Status FROM Clients WHERE (((Clients.Status) = 'A')) ORDER BY [Surname];"

End If

If Me.Frame106 = 2 Then

strSQL = "SELECT Employees.[Surname],Employees.[First Name], Employees.[Status] FROM Employees WHERE (((Employees.Status) = "C" Or (Employees.Status) = 'F' Or (Employees.Status) = 'P')) ORDER BY [Surname] & ', ' & [First Name];" 

When building a string where you need quotes within the string use the single-quotes('). You can also use a double-double to designate a double quote but that is quite confusing to follow many times. So, just use the singles and ACCESS can then interpret the difference between the beginning and ending of the string from the need to identify a string within the string.

Good luck.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Bob,

Thank You. It works ;-)

Do you know how to break a long line of code up to go on several lines?

Putting a <space><underscore> at the end of a line doesn't work on the code above.

Thanks Again

When building a long string in code you must close the string on one line with double quotes, space, ampersand(&), space and then underscore(_) and finally start the quote on the next line with a double quote again.

EXAMPLE:
Code:
strSQL=  "SELECT ([Surname] & ', ' & " & _
"[First Name] AS Client_Name, Clients.[First Name], " & _
"Clients.[Surname], Clients.Status FROM Clients WHERE " & _
"(((Clients.Status) = 'A')) ORDER BY [Surname];"

Post back if you need more assistance.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search