Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql statement to sum results over months and years

Status
Not open for further replies.

bai73

Technical User
Jul 20, 2006
US
I have date wise results in a database and would like to sort them out into months and years and also over the respective year in a table form. I would appreciate the help in writing a sql statement for a Access database. Thanks!

What have you tried so far and where in your SQL code are you stuck ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hello PVH,
I would try to write in detail about my problem..I have a date wise sales data for the last four years..I want to get a report where months are the columns and years as the rows like below:

[Year]Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Total
2004 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
2005 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

The columns in the access data base are:

ID vDate Sales

I need help in writing a sql query for getting this report at our site developed with frontpage 2002 using visual basic..I hope I have explained every thing and would love the answer.
Thanks
bai73

You may try a crosstab query:
Code:
TRANSFORM Sum(Sales) AS colValue
SELECT Year(vDate) AS [Year], Sum(Sales) AS Total
FROM yourTable
GROUP BY Year(vDate)
PIVOT Format(vDate,'mmm') IN ('Jan','Feb','Mar',...,'Nov','Dec')

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hello PHV,
I have tried this code and no error message is coming. Since I am new to this Transform type of sql statement, am unable to understand why any results are not being retrieved from the Access database which has 5 years of entries in it. Do this statement further needs to set any record sets for retrieving data. I hope you would spare some time by explaining how to retrieve results using this statement in the table form already explained above.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back