Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server will not start after rebooting server!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb224

Programmer
Oct 15, 2004
US
SQL Server will not start after rebooting server ... where do I check first?

Do I need to reinstall?

Check the event logs. If SQL Server attempted to start, but was unable to, it will be logged.

Can you start the SQL Server service manually?
Click Start->run
Type services.msc
Scroll down to MSSQLSERVER and start manually.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

OO gosh .. I rebooted again .. and this time it seems to have started OK! .. must have been some job or procedure that caused it to hang previously ... thanks for the hint though .. I was wondering the syntax or procedure to start it manually!

To start it manually start the MSSQLSERVER service.

Check the previous errorlog file ERRORLOG.1. There may be some useful info in it.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Guys ..

The same thing happened again this morning ...... this time after rebooting the server SQL still will not start ..
... in the services panel .. the status is "Startting" !

however I cheked the errorlog.1 as mrdenny suggested previously... and it looks like the problem is it could not start one of the User Databases ... that is where it hang.

How can I delete that users database? or prevent the SQL startup from trying to startup that user database that is causing it to hang?

Thanks
Mike

Hmm ....

On subsequent reboot again .. that user database started ...

the error log said something like
Analysis of the database 'baduserdb..' is 100% complete!

and SQL server started.

It appeared analyzing that database was what caused it to hang ... I'm going to have to delete that bad user database!

Thanks

Hei:
just curious .. supposing I couldn't get the server to start .. could it have been possible to delete the bad database without starting SQL Server ....

Of course I know I could dlete the .MDF and the .LDF files .. but will that then cause SQL to bye pass having to restore the database when I try to reboot .. and there by solve the problem of getting SQL server started? just wondering!

When SQL wouldn't start does it list the user database a bunch of times while it's recovering the database?

The database shouldn't actually be bad. Run a checkdb on it and see if anything comes back.

Dropping the database should be a last resort. It would be much better to find out what the problem is and why it's happening?

What's causing all the rebooting?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back