Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server version needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apple17

Programmer
Jul 5, 2005
US
I have a small web-based application that I need to upgrade from Access (starting to get sluggish and there is little more I can do to optimize it). What is the most inexpensive version of SQL Server that I can buy and set up to run one application on a web server? (I went to the MSoft site and came away confused.)

Thanks!

They don't make things easy, do they. Short answer is don't buy - download SQL Server Express - it's free and can cope with a database up to 4Gb. Make sure you get Management Studio too to administer the database.

First consideration you have to make in mind is the size of the database you gonna host. The above reply is perfect if you host a database which is less than 4 GB and which will not grow beyond 4 GB. SQL Server Express is a free version of MS SQL Server 2005.

-Keshav / IT Consultant

If they're going from Access, unless they make some major changes in the migration, I can't see the database getting to be over 4Gb in the next couple of months. SQL Express will at least give them breathing space to get themselves up and running again. Once they have a better idea of any new SQL functionality they want, they can then easily upgrade to a full licence version if needed, and will also have a better idea of which features they need so can make a more informed choice of exactly how much $$$ to donate to MS.

So I can put Express on a web server? I got the impression that, as someon above aptly put it, I'd need to 'donate more $$$ to MS' to run on a web server.

If I put the Express version up and reach the 4GB limit, is it just a matter of updating a license, or do I need to reinstall / upgrade. What would the next version on a web server be?

Thanks to both of you for the input!

take a look at this site:

"SQL Server Express and Visual Web Developer provide a simple integrated platform for building dynamic and reliable Web sites. "

If you reach the 4 GB limit, you can upgrade to SQL Server 2005 Standard. When you put the standard version on a web site, you'll probably want the 'per processor' license, which currently runs at approx. $5,000.

Take a look at this FAQ's by mrdenny faq962-5153

If/when you need to upgrade to standard, you'll need to either uninstall express, or install standard as a named instance. If you un-install, you'll need to detach the database first. Then un-install express. Install standard, and then attach the database. If you install standard as a named instance, all you'll need to do is to detach the database and attach it to the standard instance. Then, of course, you'll need to change the connect string so that your app connects to the named instance (running sql server 2005 standard).

Your bigger issue will be converting the database from Access to SQL Server. While the syntax is similar, it is NOT the same and you should expect there to be a fair amount of work involved.

My suggestion would be to install SQL Express, convert the app to use it, making sure you test ALL areas of functionality.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back