Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Timeout Expired Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

frmorris

Programmer
Aug 4, 2005
US
I am getting the following error when I try to run a report in my application. The application is in asp with a Sql Server 2000 database.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
/reports/reportDisplay.asp, line 417

This is the query that is causing the timeout error when I try to run the report.

strQuery = SELECT d.District, ISNULL((SELECT Count(distinct clientid) FROM N_Fact a, ClientReferredTo_LT b, mastervals c

WHERE c.ID = b.WasReferralMade_MID AND a.ID = b.ClientID AND a.DistrictID = d.ID AND (((a.closureDate >= '01/01/2006' OR a.ClosureDate is Null) AND ( a.enrollmentdate <= '7/13/2006' )) ) AND a.hsclient_mid = 25 AND b.WasReferralMade_MID = 402 GROUP BY b.WasReferralMade_MID, c.Mastervalue ), 0) as 'Clients with completed referrals', (SELECT Count(distinct clientid) FROM N_Fact a, ClientReferredTo_LT b, mastervals c WHERE c.ID = b.WasReferralMade_MID AND a.ID = b.ClientID AND a.DistrictID = d.ID AND (((a.closureDate >= '01/01/2006' OR a.ClosureDate is Null) AND ( a.enrollmentdate <= '7/13/2006' )) ) AND a.hsclient_mid = 25 AND b.WasReferralMade_MID <> 401 ) as 'Total clients with referrals' FROM Districts d WHERE (SELECT Count(distinct clientid) FROM N_Fact a, ClientReferredTo_LT b, mastervals c WHERE c.ID = b.WasReferralMade_MID AND a.ID = b.ClientID AND a.DistrictID = d.ID AND(((a.closureDate >= '01/01/2006' OR a.ClosureDate is Null) AND ( a.enrollmentdate <= '7/13/2006' )) ) AND a.hsclient_mid = 25 AND b.WasReferralMade_MID <> 401) > 0

It is greatly appreciated if someone could help me rewrite this query. Thanks.

1. How long does this query take to run in QueryAnalyzer/SSMS?
2. You need to look at this FAQ: faq183-4785

3. You can increase the timeout in the command object before you call "get". this will let the script run longer, before it times-out.

4. To make both our lives easier, could you post the ASP code that you are building this query with, because you are going to need some parameters added, because i am assuming you are doing this as a standard string concat.

Thanks,

If [blue]you have problems[/blue], I want [green]source code[/green] AND [green]error messages[/green], none of this [red]"there was an error crap"[/red]

Thanks Qik3Coder for all your help. My problem has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back