Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL SERVER REGISTRATION FAILED 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coding

Programmer
Aug 13, 2000
CA
Can you help me solve this problem. When I try to register SQL Server it wouldn't work. When I right-click Microsoft SQL Server node I get window "Registered SQL Server Properties". On General tab I pick "local" server and "Use Windows NT authentication" or "Use SQL Server authentication" and I get the same error message:

"SQL Server registration failed because of the connection failure displayed below. Do you wish to Register anyway?

SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())"

Coding

I take it you are doing this on the actual server that is running SQL Server (ie, the local server)?

Also, are you sure you are providing correct login info for an account that has access to the server (ie, either your windows account or the SQL Server login you are providing)?

--James

The window promted me to enter login and password and I did so. But I got the same error message as for the Windows NT authentication.
Is it something about the version of SQL Server? The version is SQL Server 7.0 and I am using Windows XP Professional.

Coding

Again, can you confirm your exact situation:

- Have you installed an instance of SQL Server (not just the client tools) on this local machine?
- Have you set up either your windows account or a SQL login with access to the server?

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back