Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server - MS Access front-end...general opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike777

Programmer
Jun 3, 2000
US
I keep getting the "ODBC timed-out" error messages while running queries on a linked table, linked to a SQL Server table. I have set the time-out setting under Tools>Options>Advanced to the maximum, 300 sec, but it's not helping (it helps, but I still get the errors when I increase the size of the query return).
Is there anyone who can give me a general opinion on the effectiveness of MS Access as front-end for SQL server? Is VB better? Is there anything else that would be considered the "ultimate" front-end development tool for SQL Server?
Thanks for your help.
michael.kemp@gs.com

I'm prejudiced towards Visual FoxPro. Its designed to be a data system, and its full-featured when dealing with remote data sources as it can pull them into either an ADO recordset or a native cursor. VFP remote views support both row and table buffering for updating of data, or using regular SQL pass through.
Robert Bradley

Here is an example of an Access query using ODBC.
The value of 0 = forever!!

Set qry = db.QueryDefs("qryPackage")
If Err Then Set qry = db.CreateQueryDef("qryPackage")
Err.Clear
qry.Connect = ConnectionString
qry.sql = "sp_SWPackage @ShipBatch = " & ThisBatch
qry.ODBCTimeout = 0
qry.Close
On Error GoTo ProcessError

John A. Gilman
gms@uslink.net

I have the same problem. Check your server and workstation network card. Change full duplex to auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back