Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL SERVER monitoring Tool 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcRoy

MIS
Dec 15, 2000
US
Does anyone know of a third party monitoring tool for SQL server 7.0? Right now I am using the SQL Agent to send notification when something fails, however if the Agent fails, I get no notification. I would like to know what's out there?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

NetIQ is incredible - check it out. We use it to monitor log space available and to run tasks. It can pull events out of the NT event log or SQL then notify you via pager or email.

I have been evaluation monitoring tools (I started another thread on this a couple of weeks ago).

Thus far, the big contenders seem to be:

[tab]DBArtisan
[tab]SQL Probe
[tab]Spotlight on SQL Server

My opinions:

DBArtisan allows you to do more, in the sense that you can make more changes and generate scripts, etc. But I don't find that it is as good a goof-proof, busy-DBA tell-me-when-something-goes-wrong tool as the other two.

I've used SQL Probe before; the user interface can sometimes be - unique, but it can give a whole lot of info. I especially like the index fragmentation display.

But Spotlight on SQL Server (Quest Software) has grown to be my favorite. I'm still using the trial version (which is full-featured) but I guarantee you'll love the display. What I appreciate most is its hands-off ability to warn you of unusual or dangerous conditions.

Robert Bradley

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the help. I will take a look at these different tools.

Thanks,

Marc Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back