Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Lock Request TimeOut. Period Exceeded

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEmacGuy

Instructor
Sep 1, 2004
US
Just wondering on a Macro Level have other people been seeing this error more than normal post 372 ?

Yep.. I have, big time. I'm on ES 9.5 and any GL work done (Report or other things such as deleting a GL entry) with either cause all other users to timeout or they will see their screens pause.

I have been contacting Exact and they put me as another customer on the list as they determined this is a bug. Also printing out the AR Aging Analysis brings everything to a halt. I had to generate my own AR Aging (which I can give you the code for if you wanted) by an Access database/report.

It's frustrating since I actually called them personally and asked them if there were any 'show stoppers' with this update. It seems EVERY update they come out, causes major problems. They swore that there were none, that they had good QA this time.

They need to test their updates more throughly, I'm really getting tired of this crap.

Been there on the 372 GL locking issue, caused huge issues with every other sub-system as everything posts dirrectly to the GL. We had transaction bouncing without being recorded to the GL.
I have updated all accounts that were on 372 to 9.5.

It's still doing it on 9.5 with the GL. I am also having lock-ups when users connect to the WMS with their scanners. This is really affecting our production.

Honestly I can't believe they can tell use they QC this stuff before releasing this as an update. I'm afraid to even update Macola anymore.

We have had the same problem since going to 9.5

We upgraded to 9.5 because it was supposed to fix a bunch of accounting issues. None of the issues were fixed and they broke other things.

We also now have a problem where the ES client does not release a lock on a file which locks everyone in ES and esynergy up. This is happening on various workstations even if they are not doing anything in macola at the time, they just have the program open but are not running anything. Once it locks up the only way to get things going again is to restart macols on the workstation.

I guess I should have expected them to fix one thing and break a bunch of others.

Billdatum, just curious, is your locking issue the same AR Aging problem? or are your clients locking on something else? Do you see a message that identifies the table & record locked?

I, for one, am a little suprised at the appliction problems resulting from an update that was intented to be a 'technology' update to support Vista.

I will have my test environment upgraded to ES9.5 in the next week or so. I will be able to dig into these issues a little. But it sounds like I will be holding off on upgrading our production environments.

I would urge anyone who is considering to update to 9.5 to wait. I talked to them personally and they told me they had a number of companies testing it for a few months before. I now cannot believe that, since I am sure one of those 'companies' would have noticed this.

Heck, any QC at Exact should notice something like this. It's like they focus so much on the issues that need to be fixed, they don't go back to the stuff that is working and to make sure it stays working.

I'm at the point that maybe I should have went with Microsoft's Great Plains system instead of upgrading to ES.

It makes me look bad when issues such as this keeps coming up.

We seem to be having 2 different issues.
The first problem locks the entire sql database. We are monitoring the database with sql hearbeat and it shows that the e4shell has a lock on the database. When we check it out most of the time the workstation is not doing anything with ES/eSynergy, the programs are open but minimized and have been that way for at least a couple of minutes. There are no error messages displayed on the workstation. If we close out ES on the workstation and restart ES everything seem to start working again. This locked workstation condition happens on several different machines and is happening 3-4 times a day. This issue started after our update to 9.5

The other issues is accounting releated. We have problems with AR users locking up GL users. An example would be that they are entering cash reciepts in AR and they are making journal entries in the GL they sometimes get a"EAMEMO.exe Application error click ok to terminate" error message. This happens when the try going to the next entry or when they exit the screen.

I have 9.5 ES without ESynergy so your first issue might be related to ESynergy since I don't experience those issues.

The issues I experience are normally when some GL work it done or some AR Reports are runs, it will either slow the others down to a crawl or lock it completely up.

Every now and then users experience slow ups of about 10-15 seconds, which we do not know where that is coming from.

Interesting read - I would suspect something environmental and not specific to ES9.5. I say this because I have several customers on 9.5 that are not experiencing the locking problems outlined here.

Peter Shirley
Macola Consultant, PA and surrounding states.

ES has admitted to me it's a bug and put me on the list of customers who are having this problem. I have not received any sort of update from them in the past month.

A month is a long time to wait when you are having those types of problems. The only thing I can think of that may be different is that no-one I know on ES is using the standard AR or AP aging reports (they are too slow).

Peter Shirley
Macola Consultant, PA and surrounding states.

Pronet,

Do you have a bug number we can reference?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Ok how many of you are using SQL 2000 and how many are using SQL 2005?

I have one customer on 9.5 and they were one of the test sites. They are on SQL 2005 and I haven't heard a peep about locking issues from them.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Pronet,

Please double check that this is the bug number, and not the support request number. They should respond to your support request number - which I do not have the rights to see - with a bug number, which I *should* have the rights to see.

When I pull up that number I am getting a permissions error.

I get the same thing.. Been getting it for quite awhile. I will copy and paste what they wrote to me. The support request number is 27.298.902 which is a different number:

es 9.5

Ageing report taking cpu and sql cpu resources when running. The report is taking about 50 to 75% processing time. He stopped the report, and es is running like normal. the reporting is just taking a lot of processor use.
[tign217574 06/13/2008 11:07 (GMT -04:00)]
email doc# 17.668.531, see for attachments

email in:

Here is the screenshot of the task manager on the server when this happened. It was running between 50-75% when we were trying to print the AR Aging report. As soon as I stopped the report, processes went back to know. Users have been complaining that there have been a decrease in performance. Such as, when entering records, at random times the screen will freeze for 10 seconds then release. However, what happened this morning has been the worst.

[SCHA11051 06/13/2008 17:48 (GMT -04:00)]
This issue has been reported on Bug Report # 25.015.387
I have added you to this Bug Report as a customer reporting this issue

Pronet,

Thanks, it appears I am locked out of viewing bug requests unless I add one of my customers to it, which I have not done yet. So it looks like you're going to have some company!

DGillz,
What up with hiding the bugs. I hope that is not intentional. I have always liked the fact, that you can see what is broken, and not have to stumble into.

I don't know. I do not have access to the bug# Pronet provided. It wasn't "not found", it was a permissions error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back