Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL server job alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGKWORK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Hi,

Little advice - are there any circumstances where an SQL mail alert that a job has failed would NOT work? i.e. where the problem that is causing the job to fail would also cause the email alert to fail also?

I ask because I am trying to decide wether or not to setup alerts for either failing jobs or jobs which have succeeded (prefer the first).

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Your post is now 2 months old but I will give my experience with job notifications.

They are very reliable. I have all jobs configured to notify me upon failure only. If you have a MS Exchange server and you're using SQL 2005 or 2008, it works very well.

John

As John stated a lot depends on your email communication relay and its pretty relaible. I have custom alerts configured for business crtical app to send direct emails rather than using our monitoring tool and it has been more relaible than exteranl tools.
Good luck

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back